Wednesday, July 21, 2010

There was "Work" to Do

The reason this whole trip was possible was because of the National Strength and Conditioning Association's National Conference. A research study I did last year was accepted for a poster presentation. This was an awesome conference. It was much smaller and more intimate than the ACSM Annual Conference (which I had attended for the past 3 years). Even though it was smaller, most of the "big-dogs" were still there. The topics of talks and research presentations were geared more towards my research area, as well as a few classes that I teach. The talks I chose to attend this year dealt with neuromuscular adaptations to strength training, more specifically muscular strength and power, as well as talks dealing with linear and lateral speed mechanics.

In addition to the talks, one of the best parts of conferences is the exhibit hall. I spent about an hour going from booth to booth looking at books, videos, watching demos on weight lifting equipment, testing out motion analysis systems, and of course, tasting all the supplements. I took home a bag full of energy drinks, protein bars, and protein shakes. Can't beat free stuff.

On Friday, I had my poster presentation. I had to stand next to my poster for 2 hours and just talked with individuals walking around, reading the posters. I really enjoyed my time. One of my visitors was Dr. Frank Spaniol, a professor out of Texas A&M Corpus Christi. He, along with Dr. David Szymanski out of Louisiana Tech and Dr. Coop DeRenne out of University of Hawai'i have been the three main researchers examining ways to increase bat velocity. And you all know that one of my main research areas is bat velocity. So he and I talked for a little while, expressed our ideas for increasing bat velocity, and he asked for my information for future discussion. It was like meeting a celebrity! It was fun chit-chatting with individuals with the same passion as me.

On a side, yet ironic note, the professor presenting his poster right next to mine was staring at my poster for a little while right as I got there. He asked me, "are you the main exercise physiologist at NIU?" I told him that I wasn't, but was the main neuromuscular phys guy and one of the main sports performance guys. He then asked me who was the lead ex phys person, I told him, then he said he was the exercise physiologist at NIU from 2005-2006. His name was Paul Luebbers, and when he left NIU, that opened up the position for our current exercise physiologist. So we talked more and obviously knew of many people at NIU. He said he loved it at NIU, but chose to leave to be closer to family. He's now at Emporia State in Kansas. It was a great chat with Paul and I look forward to communicating with him at future NSCA conferences.


I had so much fun at this conference. A part of me wished it wasn't at Disneyworld. Disneyworld has so many distractions that take you away from the conference itself. I chose to miss a few other talks to go to the parks with Kaui and the girls. But this is the conference that I'll be attending in the future. Next year: VEGAS!

1 comment:

Alice said...

Good job! Congratulations. VEGAS!